Education & Training
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- Residency: University of Pittsburgh Medical School, Pittsburgh, PA
- Fellowship: Indiana Hand Center, Indianapolis, IN
- Yoon AP, Wang Y, Wang L, Chung KC, Wrist Group. What are the Tradeoffs in Outcomes after Casting Versus Surgery for Closded Extraarticular Distal Radius Fractures in Older Patients? A Statistical Learning Model. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 479:2691-2700, 2021 PMID 34142664
- Chung KC, Kim HM, Malay S, Shauver MJ; Wrist Group. Comparison of 24-Month Outcomes After Treatment for Distal Radius Fracture: The Wrist Randomized Clinical Trial JAMA Netw Open 4(6), 2021 PMID34137830
- Hacker E, Goitz RJ, Fowler JR. Does Patient Sex Affect Ultrasound Cutoff Values for Severity Grading of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? J Hand Surg Am. 46(10): 862-867, 2021 PMID: 34103184
- Smith W, Hirsch D, Osei-Hwedich D, Fowler J, Goitz RJ: A Comparison of Changes in Median Nerve Cross-Sectional Area Between Endoscopic and Mini-Open Carpal Tunnel Release. JHS Global Online 2:80-83, 2020
- Fowler JR, Byraek, Pan T, Goitz RJ. Accuracy of Surgeon Diagnosis in Predicting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Hand 2019 PMID 31208208
- Nkrumah G, Blackburn AR, Goitz RJ, Fowler JR. Ultrasonography Findings in Severe Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Hand 2018 PMID 30027757.
- Awan H, Goitz R: MRI Correlation of Radial Head Fractures and Forearm Injuries. Hand 12(2):145-149, 2017.
- Fowler JR, Henry SE, Xu P, Goitz RJ: Outcomes Following Radial Head Arthroplasty. Orthopaedics 1:39(3):153-60, 2016.
- Fowler JR, Lavasani M, Huard J, Goitz RJ: Biologic Strategies to Improve Nerve Regeneration after Peripheral Nerve Repair. J Reconstr Microsurg 31(4):243-8, 2015.
- Chou FH, Irrgang JJ, Goitz RJ: Long-Term Followup of First Metacarpal Extension Osteotomy for Early CMC Arthritis. Hand 9 (4): 478-483, 2014.
- Prodromo J, Goitz RJ: Management of Radial Nerve Palsy Associated with Humerus Fracture. J Hand Surg (Am) 38(5):995-8, 2013.
- Azari KK, Imbriglia JE, Goitz RJ, Shores JT, Balk ML, Barndacher G, Schneeberger S, Gorantla V, Lee WP: Technical Aspects of the Recipient Operation in Hand Transplantation. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, 28(1):27-34, 2012.
- Lavasani M, Gehrmann S, Gharaibeh B, Clark KA, Kaufmann RA, Peault B, Goitz RJ, Huard J: Venous Graft-Derived Cells Participate in Peripheral Nerve Regeneration. PloS One 6(9): e24801, 2011.
- Martin DE, English JC, Goitz RJ: Subungual Malignant Melanoma. Journal of Hand Surgery 36A(4):704-707, 2011.
- Nerve Repair:
- Studying the potential for vascular stem cells to improve nerve recovery.
- Multicenter study evaluating allograft nerve for grafting large motor defects.
- DIP Joint Anatomy and Kinematics: Using micro-CT analysis, evaluating the anatomy and biomechanics of the DIP joint. Characterizing wear characteristics of the DIP joint and developing a model to study osteoarthritis. Also developing implants for replacement of the DIP joints.
- Carpal Tunnel Morphology: Rigorously characterized the transverse carpal ligament, the carpal canal and the change in dimensions related to wrist motion.
- Hand Transplantation: Participated in development and implementation of hand transplant program. Completed eight limbs in five patients
- Ulnar-sided wrist pain: Studying outcome of nonoperative treatment for patients presenting with ulnar-sided wrist pain.
- TFCC tears: Prospective study of differing operative techniques to treat peripheral traumatic TFCC tears.
- Wrist fractures in elderly: Outcome of elderly treated for distal radius fracture.