Dr. Manway serves as the residency program director of the UPMC Mercy Podiatric Surgical Residency and the Podiatry Section Chief at UPMC Mercy. He is Board Certified (ABFAS) in Forefoot and Rearfoot/Ankle Reconstructive Surgery.
Education & Training
- DPM, Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- Residency: University of Pittsburgh Medical School, Pittsburgh, PA
- Manway JM, Blazek CD, Burns PR. Special Considerations in the Management of Diabetic Ankle Fractures. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2018 Sep;11(3):445-455.
- Patel NB, Blazek C, Scanlan R, Manway JM, Burns PR. Common Pitfalls in Subtalar Joint Preparation for Arthrodesis via Sinus Tarsi Approach. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2020 Mar-Apr;59(2):253-257.
- Manway J, Highlander P. Open fractures of the foot and ankle: an evidence-based review. Foot Ankle Spec. 2015 Feb;8(1):59-64. doi: 10.1177/1938640014557072. Epub 2014 Nov 14.
- Hobizal KB, Wukich DK, Manway J. Extensor Digitorum Brevis Transfer Technique to Correct Multiplanar Deformity of the Lesser Digits. Foot Ankle Spec. 2016 Jun;9(3):252-7.
- Monaco SJ, Brandao RA, Manway JM, Burns PR. Subtalar Distraction Arthrodesis with Fresh Frozen Femoral Neck Allograft: A Retrospective Case Series. Foot Ankle Spec. 2016 Oct;9(5):423-8.
- Monaco SJ, Manway JM, Burns PR. Utility of Fresh Frozen Section Analysis in Foot and Ankle Surgery: A Pilot Study. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2016 Jul-Aug;55(4):874-6.
- Shinabarger AB, Manway JM, Nowak J, Burns PR. Soft tissue fixation with a cortical button and interference screw: a novel technique in foot and ankle surgery. Foot Ankle Spec. 2015 Feb;8(1):42-5.
- Speer CG, Rendos NK, Davis CE, Au B, Manway JM, Burns PR. Reoperation, reamputation, and new ulceration following complete or partial toe amputation among diabetic and non-diabetic patients. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2021 Sep;179:109008.
- Blazek CD, Brandão RA, Manway JM, Burns PR. Multiplanar Correction of the Lesser Digital Deviation and Indirect Plantar Plate Rupture Repair Using a Braided Polyethylene Nylon Suture: A Technique Guide. Foot Ankle Spec. 2017 Dec;10(6):551-554.
Dr. Manway's research interests include foot and ankle fracture care, elective foot and ankle reconstructive surgery and diabetic limb salvage/wound care. He is a co-investigator on multiple multicenter diabetic wound studies enrolling at the UPMC Mercy wound center.