Education & Training
- Postdoctoral Associate, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
- Fellow, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- PhD, Cell Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, P.R.CHINA
- BS, Biochemistry, Nanjing University, Nanjing, P.R.CHINA
- Lin Z, Li Z, Li E, Li X, Del Duke CJ, Shen H, Hao T, Lei G, Bunnell BA, Goodman SB, Alexander PG, Tuan RS, Lin H. Front Bioeng Biotechnol. (In press).
- Lin H, Tang Y, Lozito TP, Oyster N, Wang B, Tuan RS. Efficient in vivo Bone Formation by BMP-2 Engineered Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells Encapsulated in a Projection Stereolithographically Fabricated Hydrogel Scaffold. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2019.
- Liu Y, Kuang B, Rothrauff BB, Tuan RS, Lin H. Robust bone regeneration through endochondral ossification of human mesenchymal stem cells within their own extracellular matrix. Biomaterials. 2019, Jul 6;218:119336.
- Lin H (corresponding author), Beck AM, Shimomura K, Sohn J, Fritch MR, Deng Y, Kilroy EJ, Tang Y, Alexander PG, Tuan RS. Optimization of Photocrosslinked Gelatin/Hyaluronic Acid Hybrid Scaffold for the repair of cartilage defect. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2019 13(8):1418-1429.
- Deng Y, Lei G, Lin Z, Yang Y, Lin H (corresponding author), Tuan RS. Engineering hyaline cartilage from mesenchymal stem cells with low hypertrophy potential via modulation of culture conditions and Wnt/β-catenin pathway. Biomaterials. 2019, 192:569-578.
- Deng Y, Sun AX, Overholt KJ, Yu GZ, Fritch MR, Alexander PG, Shen H, Tuan RS, Lin H (corresponding author). Enhancing chondrogenesis and mechanical strength retention in physiologically relevant hydrogels with incorporation of hyaluronic acid and direct loading of TGF-β. Acta Biomater. 2019, 83:167-176.
- Photopolymerizable biogel scaffold seeded with mesenchymal stem cells: safety and efficacy evaluation of novel treatment for intervertebral disc degeneration. Vaudreuil N, Henrikson K, Pohl P, Lee A, Lin H, Olsen A, Dong Q, Dombrowski M, Kang J, Vo N, Lee J, Sowa G. J Orthop Res. 2018
- Sasaki H, Rothrauff BB, Alexander PG, Lin H, Gottardi R, Fu FH, Tuan RS. In Vitro Repair of Meniscal Radial Tear With Hydrogels Seeded With Adipose Stem Cells and TGF-β3. Am J Sports Med. 2018, 46(10):2402-2413.
- Lin H, Sohn J, Langhans MT, Shen H, Tuan RS. Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells: Aging and Tissue Engineering Applications to Enhance Bone Healing. Biomaterials, 2018, S0142-9612(18)30447-2.
- Sohn J, Lin H, Fritch MR, Tuan RS. Influence of cholesterol/caveolin-1/caveolae homeostasis on membrane properties and substrate adhesion characteristics of adult human mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cell Res Ther. 2018, 9:86.
- Yang Y, Lin H (co-first author), Shen H, Wang B, Lei GH, Tuan RS. Mesenchymal Stem Cell-Derived Extracellular Matrix Enhances Chondrogenic Phenotype of and Cartilage Formation by Encapsulated Chondrocytes in vitro and in vivo. Acta Biomaterialia, 2018, 69:71-82.
- Shen H, Lin H, Sun AS, Song SJ, Zhang ZJ, Dai JW, Tuan RS. Chondroinductive Factor-Free Chondrogenic Differentiation of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Graphene Oxide- Incorporated Hydrogels. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2018, 6, 908 - 91.
- Lin H, Tang Y, Lozito TP, Oyster N, Kang RB, Fritch MR, Wang B, Tuan RS. Projection Stereolithographic Fabrication of BMP-2 Gene-activated Matrix for Bone Tissue Engineering. Scientific Reports, 2017, 7, 11327.
- Xue J, Lin H, Bean A, Tang Y, Tan J, Tuan RS, Wang B. One-Step Fabrication of Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 Gene Activated, Porous Poly-L-Lactide Scaffold for Bone Induction. Molecular Therapy — Methods & Clinical Developments, 2017, 7, 50-59.
- Sun AX, Lin H, Fritch MR, Shen H, Alexander PG, DeHart M, Tuan RS, Chondrogenesis of Human Bone Marrow Mesenchymal Stem Cells in 3-Dimensional, Photocrosslinked Hydrogel Constructs: Effect of Cell Seeding Density and Material Stiffness. Acta Biomaterialia, 2017, 58,302-11.
- Blair HC, Larrouture QC, Li YN, Lin H, Beer-Stoltz D, Liu L, Tuan RS, Robinson LJ, Schelsinger PH, Nelson DJ . Osteoblast Differentiation and Bone Matrix Formation In Vivo and In Vitro. Tissue engineering-B, 2017, 23(3): 1-13.
- Yang G, Rothrauff BB, Lin H, Gortardi R, Tuan RS. Tendon-Derived Extracellular Matrix Enhances TGF-β3 Induced Tenogenic Differentiation of Human Adipose-Derived Stem Cells. Tissue engineering-A, 2017, 23(3,4): 166-176.
- Yang G, Lin H, Rothrauff BB, Yu S, Tuan RS. (2016) Multilayered polycaprolactone/gelatin fiber-hydrogel composite for tendon tissue engineering. Acta Biomater. 15;35:68-76.
- Sun AX, Lin H (co-first author), Beck AM, Kilroy EJ, Tuan RS. (2015) Projection Stereolithographic Fabrication of Human Adipose Stem Cell-incorporated Biodegradable Scaffolds for Cartilage Tissue Engineering. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 2015.
- Lin H, Lozito TP, Alexander PG, Gottardi R, Tuan RS. Stem Cell-based Microphysiological Osteochondral System to Model Tissue Response to Interleukin-1β. Molecular Pharmaceutics, 2014, 11(7):2203-12.
- Lin H, Cheng AWM, Alexander P, Bech AM, Tuan RS. Cartilage Tissue Engineering Application of Injectable Gelatin Hydrogel with in situ Visible Light-Activated Gelation Capability in Both Air and Aqueous Solution. Tissue Engineering-A, 2014, 20 (17-18): 2402-11.
- Lin H, Zhang DN, Alexander P, Yang G, Tan J, Cheng AWM, Tuan RS. The Application of Visible Light-based Projection Stereolithography (VL-PSL) in Live Cell-Scaffold Fabrication with Designed Architecture. Biomaterials 2013, 34(2):331-9
- Lin H, Yang G, Tan J, Tuan RS. Influence of Decellularized Matrix Derived from Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells on Their Proliferation, Migration and Multi-lineage Differentiation Potential. Biomaterials 2012, 33(18):4480-9.
- Lin H, Zhao Y, Sun W, Chen B, Zhang J, Zhao W, Xiao Z, and Dai J. The effect of crosslinking heparin to demineralized bone matrix on mechanical strength and specific binding to human bone morphogenetic protein-2. Biomaterials, 2008, 29:1189-1197.
- Lin H, Chen, B, Sun, W, Zhao, W, Zhao, Y, and Dai, J. The effect of collagen-targeting platelet-derived growth factor on cellularization and vascularization of collagen scaffolds. Biomaterials, 2006, 27:5708-5714.
- Lin H, Chen, B, Wang, B, Zhao, Y, Sun, W, and Dai, J. Novel nerve guidance material prepared from bovine aponeurosis. Journal of Biomedical Materials research A, 2006, 79:591-598.
- Zhao, Y, Lin H (Co-first author), Zhang J, Chen B, Sun W, Wang X, Zhao W, Xiao Z, and Dai J. Cross-linked three-dimensional demineralized bone matrix for the adipose-derived stromal cell proliferation and differentiation. Tissue Engineering Part A, 2009;15(1):13-21.
- Chen B, Lin H (Co-first author), Wang J, Zhao Y, Wang B, Zhao W, Sun W, and Dai J. Homogeneous osteogenesis and bone regeneration by demineralized bone matrix loading with collagen-targeting bone morphogenetic protein-2. Biomaterials, 2007, 28:1027-1035.
My research interests are to understand the relationship between aging and osteoarthritis (OA), develop disease modifying drugs for OA treatment, and regenerate articular cartilage through tissue engineering strategy.
- We have pioneered the development a human microphysiological osteochondral tissue to investigate the effect of different risk factors on the initiation and progression of OA. We were recently funded by NIH to engineer a microJoint tissue chip, which is composed with cartilage, bone, fat pad and synovial membrane, to further model joint pathologies and screen candidate treating drugs.
- We are engineering articular cartilage in vitro using mesenchymal stem cells and Induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), by modulating key pathways, such as WNT/β-Catenin.
- We have for the first time applied a visible light based stereolithographic method (VL-PSL,3D printing) to fabricate live cell-laden hydrogel scaffolds with customized geometry and internal architecture for tissue/organ regeneration. We have also developed an innovative visible light-based photo-crosslinking method to quickly fabricate hydrogel scaffolds in situ, with natural or synthesized biomaterials. Currently, we are testing its application for cartilage repair in rabbits and goats.
- We are also working on the characterization of chondrocyte aging and investigating its contribution to OA onset and progress. In particular, we are using RNASeq technology to analyze the difference of transcriptome in young, old and OA cells.
Tissue Chip Modeling of Synovial Joint Pathologies: Effects of Inflammation and Adipose-Mediated Diabetic Complications
Project period: 07/15/2017-06/30/2022
Joint Pain on a Chip: Mechanistic Analysis, Therapeutic Targets, and an Empirical Strategy for Personalized Pain Management
Project period: 09/2019-06/30/2024
Regenerative Enhancement of Aged Chondrocytes via Cytoskeletal Modulation
Project period: 9/15/2017-04/30/2020 (NCE)
A Robust Microphysiological System for Mechanistic Investigation of Fat-bone Crosstalk in Diabetes
Project period: 02/01/2019-01/31/2020
Sponsor: NIDDK-sponsored Diabetic Complications Consortium (DiaComp)
Tissue Chip Modeling of Osteoarthritis Pain
Project period: 07/01/2019-06/30/2020
Sponsor: Clinical & Translational Science Institute- Pain Challenge Award
Mechanistic study of mitophagy on aging associated osteoarthritis
Project period: 02/01/2019-12/31/2019
Sponsor: Pepper Award (NIH P30 AG024827)
Enhancement of Mesenchymal Stem Cell Adhesion, Migration and Osteogenic Differentiation on P-15 Coated Surfaces
Project period: 03/01/2019-02/28/2020
Sponsor: Cerapedics, Inc