Dr Li is a Research Assistant Professor at the Mechanobiology Laboratory of Orthopaedic Surgery department with extensive background and expertise in cell and molecular biology specifically in stem cell research. Dr. Li's research interest lies in understanding stem cell biology and its application in musculoskeletal tissue repair and regeneration. The main focus of his research is to define the mechanism of relative gene expression and regulation in healing and regeneration of injured musculoskeletal tissue. Currently, one of the focuses of Dr Li's research is on therapeutic application of stem cells in tendon-bone insertion injury and the molecular mechanism of tendon-bone insertion regeneration.
Education & Training
- PhD, Shanghai Jiaotong University College of Medicine, Shanghai, China
- MS, Shanghai Jiaotong University College of Medicine, Shanghai, China
- MD, Anhui Medical University, Anhui, China
- Li F, Cain J, Armstrong G, Tombran-Tink J, Niyibizi C. Pigment Epithelium Derived Factor（PEDF）Reduced Expression and synthesis of Sost/Sclerostin in Bone explant Cultures: Implication for PEDF-osteocyte gene regulation in vivo. J Bone Miner Metab 2019 Jan 3
- Li F, Cain J, Tombran-Tink J, Niyibizi C. Pigment epithelium derived factor regulates human Sost/Sclerostin and other osteocyte gene expression via the receptor and induction of Erk/GSK-3beta/beta-catenin signaling. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2018 Oct;1864(10):3449-3458. Epub 2018 Aug 1.
- Li F, Armstrong GB, Tombran-Tink J, Niyibizi C. Pigment epithelium derived factor upregulates expression of vascular endothelial growth factor by human mesenchymal stem cells: Possible role in PEDF regulated matrix mineralization. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2016 Sep 23;478(3):1106-10.
- Li F, Niyibizi C. Engraftability of Murine Bone Marrow-Derived Multipotent Mesenchymal Stem Cell Subpopulations in the Tissues of Developing Mice following Systemic Transplantation. Cells Tissues Organs. 2016;201(1):14-25.
- Li F, Song N, Tombran-Tink J, Niyibizi C. Pigment epithelium derived factor suppresses expression of Sost/Sclerostin by osteocytes: implication for its role in bone matrix mineralization. J Cell Physiol. 2015 Jun;230(6):1243-9.
- Li F, Song N, Tombran-Tink J, Niyibizi C. Pigment Epithelium Derived Factor Enhances Differentiation and Mineral Deposition of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Stem Cells. 2013 Dec;31(12):2714-23.
- Song N, Armstrong AD, Li F, Ouyang H, Niyibizi C. Multipotent Mesenchymal Stem Cells from Human Subacromial Bursa: Potential for Cell Based Tendon Tissue Engineering. Tissue Eng Part A. 2015 Jun;230(6):1243-9.
- Li F, Niyibizi C. Differentiating Multipotent Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Generate Factors that Exert Paracrine Activities on Exogenous MSCs: Implications for Paracrine Activities in Bone Regeneration. Bioche Biophysci Res commun 2012 Oct 5;426(4):475-9.
- Li F, Niyibizi C. Generation of Putative Mesenchymal stromal cells from murine induced pluripotent stem cells and induction to osteoblasts differentiation and bone formation in vivo. BMC Cell Biol. 2012 Dec 15;13(1):35.
- Maddox JR, Ludlow KD, Li F, Niyibizi C. Breast and Abdominal Adipose Multipotent Mesenchymal Stromal Cells and Stage-Specific Embryonic Antigen 4 Expression. Cells Tissues Organs 2012;196:107-116
- Li F, Wang X, Niyibizi C. Bone marrow stromal cells contribute to bone formation following infusion into femoral cavities of a mouse model of osteogenesis imperfecta. Bone 2010 Sep;47(3):546-55
- Li F, Bronson S, Niyibizi C. Derivation of murine induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS) and assessmentof their differentiation toward osteogenic lineage. J Cell Biochem. 2010, 109:643-652. [Cover Story]
- Zhang P, Ying L, Xu R, Ge S, Mei W, Li F, Dai B, Lu J, Qian G. Tumor-Specific, Hypoxia-Regulated, WW Domain-Containing Oxidoreductase-Expressing Adenovirus Inhibits Human Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Growth In Vivo. Human Gene Therapy. January 2010: 27-39.
- Niyibizi C, Li F. Potential implications of cell therapy for osteogenesis imperfecta. International Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, 2009; 4: 57-66.
- Maddox JR, Liao X, Li F, Niyibizi C. Effects of culturing on the stability of the putative murine adipose derived stem cells markers. Open Stem Cell 2009; 1:54-61.