Education & Training
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Residency: Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Fellowship: University of Pittsburgh Medical School, Pittsburgh, PA
- Fellowship: Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA
- Sabzevari S, Kachooei AR, Giugale J, Lin A. One-stage surgical treatment for concomitant rotator cuff tears with shoulder stiffness has comparable results with isolated rotator cuff tears: a systematic review. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2017 Aug;26(8):e252-e258. PubMed PMID: 28478897
- Lin A, Gasbarro G, Sakr M. Diagnostic and therapeutic applications of ultrasound in the shoulder and elbow. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2018 May 1; 26(9):303-312. PubMed PMID: 29621051.
- Kowalczuk M, Kohut K, Sabzevari S, Naendrup J, Lin A. Proximal long head biceps rupture: a predictor of rotator cuff pathology. Arthroscopy 2018 Apr; 34(4):1166-1170. PubMed PMID: 29373291.
- Su F, Kowalczuk M, Ikpe S, Sabzevari S, Lee H, Lin A. Risk factors for failure of revision arthroscopic anterior stabilization. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018 Aug 1;100 (15):1319-1325. PubMed PMID: 30063594.
- Fourman M, Beck A Gasbarro G, Zlotnicki J, Giugalge J, Rodosky M, Lin A. Humeral head resurfacing is associated with less pain and clinically equivalent functional outcomes compared with stemmed hemiarthroplasty at mid-term follow-up. Knee Surg Sport Traumatol Arthrosc 2019 Oct;27(10): 3203-3211. PubMed PMID: 30195512.
- Vaswani R, Gasbarro G, Como C, Kohut K, Wilmot A, Borrero C, Vyas D, Lin A. Labral volume and number of preoperative dislocations are associated with recurrent instability after arthroscopic Bankart repair. Arthroscopy 2020 April;36(4):993-999. PubMed PMID: 31785391.
- Wilson K, Popchak A, Li R, Kane G, Lin A. Return to sport testing at 6 months after arthroscopic shoulder stabilization reveals residual strength and functional deficits. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2020 Jul;29(7S):S107-S114 PubMed PMID:32643605.
- Yoshida M, Takenaga T, Chan CK, Musahl V, Debski RE, Lin A. Location and magnitude of capsular injuries varies following multiple anterior dislocations of the shoulder: implications for surgical repair. J Orthop Res. 2021 Mar;39(3): 648-656. Pubmed PMID: 32940940.
- Li R, Sheean A, Wilson K, de SA D, Kane G, Lesniak B, Lin A. Decreased glenoid retroversion is a risk factor for failure of primary arthroscopic Bankart repair in individuals with subcritical bone loss versus no bone loss. Arthroscopy 2021 Apr;37(4): 1128-1133. PubMed PMID: 33307148.
- Li R, Kane G, Drummond M, Golan E, Wilson K, Lesniak B, Rodosky M, Lin A. On-track lesions with a small distance-to-dislocation are associated with failure after arthroscopic anterior shoulder stabilization. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2021 Jun 2;103(11): 961-967. PubMed PMID: 33764924
- Hughes J, Gibbs C, Whicker E, Reddy R, Vaswani R, Eibel A, Talentino S, Popchak A, Lesniak B, Lin A. Repair of high-grade partial thickness supraspinatus tears after surgical completion of the tear have a lower retear rate when compared to full thickness tear repair. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2021 Jul;29(7): 2370-2375. PubMed PMID: 33683392
- Hughes J, Kane G, LeVasseur C, Gabrielli A, Popachk A, Irrgang J, Anderst W, Lin A. Graft healing does not influence subjective outcomes and shoulder kinematics after superior capsular reconstruction: a prospective in vivo study. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2021 Jul;30(7S):S48-S56. PubMed PMID: 33775820.
- Drummond M, Popchak A, Wilson K, Kane G, Lin A. Criteria based return to sports testing is associated with lower recurrence rates following arthroscopic Bankart repair. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2021 Jul;30(7S):S14-S20. PubMed PMID: 33798726
- Kane G, LeVasseur C, Hughes J, Gabrielli A, Popchak A, Irrgang J, Anderst W, Lin A. Improved outcomes following arthroscopic superior capsular reconstruction may not be associated with changes in shoulder kinematics: an in vivo study. Arthroscopy 2021 Jul 6. PubMed PMID: 34237396 [Epub ahead of print]
- Como C, Hughes J, Lesniak B, Lin A. Critical shoulder angle does not influence retear rate after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2021 Jul 13 PubMed PMID: 34255134 [Epub ahead of print]
- Paras T, Raines B, Kohut K, Sabzevari S, Chang Y, Yeung M, Li R, Tublin J, Baradaran A, Lin A. Clinical outcomes of reverse total shoulder arthroplasty for elective indications versus acute three and four-part proximal humerus fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2021 Aug 25 PubMed PMID: 34454040 [Epub ahead of print]
Serves as Director of the Pittsburgh Shoulder Institute, with Dr. Mark Rodosky. My basic science research involves collaborative work with the University of Pittsburgh Orthopaedic Robotics Laboratory (ORL) and the Biodynamics Laboratory (BDL) focusing on cadaveric biomechanical assessment of shoulder instability with development of novel surgical techniques, and in vivo kinematic analysis of surgical treatments and reconstruction for rotator cuff pathology. My clinical outcomes research focuses on sports related shoulder injuries in addition to complex shoulder pathology including reconstruction and shoulder arthroplasty. We have presented our research both nationally and internationally. Our research team has received multiple recent awards including the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons Cofield Award (2019) and Mighell-Frankle Award (2020, 2021). In addition to my clinical and research practice, I serve as the head orthopaedic team physician for Duquesne University and team physician for Pittsburgh Central Catholic High School, Oakland Catholic High School, and Sierra Catholic High School.
Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Fellowship (Associate Program Director)
Shoulder and Elbow Fellowship
Comprehensive arthroscopic and open shoulder experience for residents and fellows.
- “Effects of prosthesis design and placement on shoulder kinematics and strength after reverse total shoulder arthroplasty”
Grant #: 12731062
Performance Period: 8/1/19 – 3/31/21
Role: PI (co-PI: Dr. William Anderst)
Supporting Agency: National Institute of Health, R03
Level of Funding: $75,000
- “Patient-specific strategies for capsular repair following shoulder dislocation”
Grant #: AR078418-01
Performance Period: 9/1/20 - 8/31/22
Role: PI (co-PI: Dr. Richard Debski)
Supporting Agency: National Institute of Health, R21
Level of Funding: $275,000
- “Open versus Arthroscopic Shoulder Instability Surgery for Subcritical bone loss (O.A.S.I.S”
Grant #: n/a
Performance Period: 9/1/20 - 8/31/25
Role: site-PI (study PIs: Dr. Adam Popchak, Dr. Jon Dickens)
Supporting Agency: Department of Defense
Level of Funding: $2,000,000
- “Measurement of in-vivo dynamic glenoid track following arthroscopic versus open stabilization for subcritical glenoid bone loss”
Grant #: n/a
Performance Period: TBD
Role: Co-I (PI: Dr. William Anderst)
Supporting Agency: National Institute of Health, R01
Level of Funding: $1,100,000