Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
3471 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Dane K. Wukich
Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Chief, Foot and Ankle Division
Director, UPMC Comprehensive Foot and Ankle Center
Roesch Taylor Building
2100 Jane Street, Suite 7100
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
Phone: Appointment: 412.586.1547
Faculty Research Interests
Personal Web Page
• Postoperative infections in foot and ankle surgery: a comparison of diabetic patients and non-diabetic patients: IRB number PRO08090140
• Intramedullary fixation in patients with Charcot foot and comorbid diabetes: IRB number PRO08080016
• Comprehensive Foot and Ankle Research Registry: IRB number PRO07040353
• Systematic review of the surgical management of Charcot arthropathy: IRB not required
• Retrospective review of ankle fractures in patients with diabetes mellitus: The UPMC experience: IRB in submission.
• Outcome of tibia fractures in patients with diabetes mellitus: IRB in submission.
|Dr. Wukich is the medical director of the UPMC Comprehensive Foot and Ankle center, and is chief of the division of Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgery in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. He has been with UPMC since 2004.
Dr. Wukich’s research interests include the complications of circular external fixation in patients with diabetes, foot and ankle problems in posttransplant patients, tendon transfers with biotenodesis screw, and thromboembolic complications after foot and ankle surgery. He frequently is invited to speak nationally and internationally, and is published in many prestigious journals including the Annals of Surgery, Archives of Surgery, Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Reheard, Clinical in Podiatric Medicine and Surgery, Foot and Ankle Clinics of North America, Foot and Ankle International, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Journal of Hand Surgery, Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicine, Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Journal of Trauma and Spine. Dr. Wukich also is the author or coauthor of several book chapters dealing with foot and ankle problems in athletes and patients with diabetes.
He is an Orthopaedic foot and ankle consultant to the Pittsburgh Ballet, and the athletic department at the University of Pittsburgh, Carnegie Mellon University, Robert Morris University, Duquesne University, and Point Park University. Dr. Wukich also is a consultant for the VA Medical Center.
Dr. Wukich earned his medical degree from the Georgetown University School of Medicine. While at Georgetown, Dr. Wukich was inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha National Honor Medical Society. He earned his bachelor’s degree at Carnegie Mellon University, where he graduated with the university honors and received the Robosome Award for outstanding student in molecular biology. He completed a surgical internship and orthopaedic surgery residency at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center. Dr. Wukich did a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. He is certified by the American board of Orthopaedic Surgery and is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic surgeons, and the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society. Dr. Wukich also is an editorial board member of Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics and a peer reviewer of Foot and Ankle International. He is a member of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Resident Curriculum Committee, and the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery Resident Promotion Committee. He is the Assistant Program Director for the University of Pittsburgh’s Orthopedic Surgery Program. Dr. Wukich also received the Golden Apple Award, presented by the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery graduating class in 2007 to an outstanding faculty member.
Dr. Wukich is a member of the American Orthopaedic Association. Founded in 1887, the AOA is the oldest most distinguished orthopaedic organization in the world. Membership in the AOA is attained by those who are considered to have made a significant contribution in the areas of education, research, and the practice of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Dr. Wukich is a full time faculty member of the University of Pittsburgh appointed as an Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery in 2004 and promoted to Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery in 2009.
Dr. Wukich achieved the rank of Major with the U.S. Army and served in Desert Storm and Desert Shield as Chief of Orthopedic Surgery. He received several Army Commendation Medals and an Army Achievement medal. Dr. Wukich also received the Southwest Asia Service Medal and the National Defense Service Ribbon.
Dr. Wukich is an attending physician at the UPMC Mercy, UPMC South Side, UPMC Presbyterian, and the VA Medical Center.
|Membership in Societies
AO North America (2009)
Charcot Mondiale (2009)
American Orthpaedic Association (2008-current)
American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (2003-current)
American Diabetes Association (2007-current)
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (2003-current)
|1. Kline AJ, Gruen GS, Pape HC, Tarkin IS, Irrgang JJ, Wukich DK. Early complications following the operative treatment of pilon fractures in patients with diabetes mellitus. Foot Ankle Int. 2009; 30(11):1042-1047.
2. Wukich DK, Sung W. Charcot arthropathy of the foot and ankle: modern concepts and management review. J Diabetes Complications. Nov-Dec 2009;23(6):409-426.
3. Wukich DK, Roussel AJ, Dial D. Correction of metatarsus primus varus using an opening wedge plate: a review of 18 cases. J Foot Ankle Surg 2009. 48(4):420-26.
4. Crim, BE and Wukich DK. Osteomyelitis of the foot and ankle in the diabetic population: diagnosis and treatment. J Diab Foot Complications, 2009. 1(2): p. 26-35.
5. Wukich DK, Rhim B, Dial D. Failed intramedullary screw fixation of a proximal fifth metatarsal fracture (Jones fracture) in a division I athlete: a case report. Foot Ankle Online J. 2009; 2(6):1-6.
6. Wukich DK, Dial D. Rigid stabilization of partial incongruous Lisfranc dislocations: A cannulated solid screw technique. Foot Ankle Online J. 2009;2(6):15-21.
7. Armstrong DG, Boulton AJ, Andros G, Attinger C, Eisenbud D, Lavery L, Lipsky B, Mills JL, Sibbald G, Smith AG, Wukich DK, Margolis D. Defining success in clinical trials of diabetic foot wounds: The Los Angeles DFCon consensus. Int Wound J, 2009. 6(3): p. 211-3.
8. Kluesner AJ, Wukich DK. Ankle arthrodiastasis. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2009 Apr; 26(2):227-44.
9. Martin RL, Hutt DM, Wukich DK. Validity of the foot and ankle ability measure (FAAM) in diabetes mellitus. Foot Ankle Int. 2009; 30(4):297-302.
10. Sung W, Smith S, Wukich DK. Are isolated, non-displaced medial malleolus fractures always benign in diabetic patients? J Diab Foot Complications. 2009; 1(1):8-12.
11. Boulton AJM, Armstrong DG, Albert SA, Frykerg RG, Hellman R, Kirkman MS, Lavery LS, LeMaster JW, Mills JL, Mueller MJ, Sheehan P, Wukich DK. Comprehensive foot examination and risk assessment: a report of the task force of the foot care interest group of the American Diabetes Association, with endorsement by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc. 2009 Jan-Feb; 99(1):74-80.
12. Combs DB, Martin RL, Wukich DK. Pes cavus deformities: Foot and Ankle Special Interest Group. Orthop Phys Ther Pract. 2009; 21(1):54-5.
13. Ulbrecht JS, Wukich DK. The Charcot foot: medical and surgical therapy. Curr Diab Rep. 2008 Dec; 8(6):444-51.
14. Boulton AJM, Armstrong DG, Albert SA, Frykerg RG, Hellman R, Kirkman MS, Lavery LS, LeMaster JW, Mills JL, Mueller MJ, Sheehan P, Wukich DK. Comprehensive foot examination and risk assessment. A report of the Task Force of the Foot Care Interest Group of the American Diabetes Association, with endorsement by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. Phys Ther. 2008 Nov; 88(11):1436-43.
15. Belczyk RJ, Combs DB, Wukich DK. Technical Tip: A simple method for proper placement of an intramedullary nail entry point for tibiotalocalcaneal or tibiocalcaneal Arthrodesis. Foot Ankle Online J. 2008;1(9):4-11.
16. Belczyk RJ, Sung W, Wukich DK. Conical shaping of structural allografts for bone block arthrodesis in failed first metatarsophalangeal arthroplasty. Foot Ankle Online J 2008; 1(8):4-5.
17. Belczyk RJ, Wukich DK. Extraction a difficult to remove intramedullary antibiotic spacer in the ankle. Foot Ankle Online J. 2008;1(7):6-10.
18. Wukich DK, Belczyk RJ, Burns PR, Frykberg RG. Complications encountered with circular ring fixation in persons with diabetes mellitus. Foot Ankle Int. 2008 Oct; 29(10):994-1000.
19. Belczyk RJ, Wukich DK. Stage 0 Charcot: Foot and Ankle Special Interest Group. Orthop Phys Ther Pract. 2008; 20(3):146-7.
20. Boulton AJM, Armstrong DG, Albert SA, Frykerg RG, Hellman R, Kirkman MS, Lavery LS, LeMaster JW, Mills JL, Mueller MJ, Sheehan P, Wukich DK. Comprehensive foot examination and risk assessment: a report of the task force of the foot care interest group of the American Diabetes Association, with endorsement by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. Endocr Pract. 2008; 14(5):576-83.
21. Boulton AJM, Armstrong DG, Albert SA, Frykerg RG, Hellman R, Kirkman MS, Lavery LS, LeMaster JW, Mills JL, Mueller MJ, Sheehan P, Wukich DK. Comprehensive foot examination and risk assessment: a report of the task force of the foot care interest group of the American Diabetes Association, with endorsement by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. Diabetes Care. 2008 Aug;31(8):1679-85.
22. Wukich DK, Kline AJ. The management of ankle fractures in patients with diabetes. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Jul; 90(7):1570-8.
23. Wukich DK, Rhim B, Lowery NJ, Dial D. Biotenodesis screw for fixation of FDL transfer in the treatment of adult acquired flatfoot deformity. Foot Ankle Int. 2008 Jul; 29(7):730-4
24. Wukich DK, Waters DH. Thromboembolism following foot and ankle surgery: a case series and literature review. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2008 May-Jun; 47(3):243-9.
25. McPoil TG, Martin RL, Cornwall MW, Wukich DK, Irrgang JJ, Godges JJ. Heel pain--plantar fasciitis: clinical practice guildelines linked to the international classification of function, disability, and health from the orthopaedic section of the American Physical Therapy Association. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2008 Apr; 38(4):A1-A18.
26. Burns PR, Wukich DK. Surgical reconstruction of the Charcot rearfoot and ankle. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2008 Jan; 25(1):95-120, vii-viii.
27. Lattermann C, Goldstein JL, Wukich DK, Lee S, Bach BR, Jr. Practical management of Lisfranc injuries in athletes. Clin J Sport Med. 2007 Jul; 17(4):311-5.
28. Prisk VR, Wukich DK. Ankle fractures in diabetics. Foot Ankle Clin. 2006 Dec;11(4):849-63.
29. Plakseychuk A, Wukich DK. Ilizarov external fixator in foot and ankle reconstruction. Curr Opin Orthop. 2006; 17(2):423-44.
30. Frykberg RG, Zgonis T, Armstrong DG, Driver VR, Giurini JM, Kravitz SR, Landsmann AS, Lavery LA, Moore JC, Schuberth JM, Wukich DK, Anderson C, Vanore JV. Diabetic Foot Disorders: A Clinical Practice Guideline. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2006; 45(5) Supplement 1-66.
31. Marin LE, Wukich DK, Zgonis T. The surgical management of high- and low-energy tibial plafond fractures: A combination of internal and external fixation devices. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2006 Apr; 23(2):423-44, vii.
32. Wukich DK, Donley BG, Sferra JJ. Hypermobility of the first tarsometatarsal joint. Foot Ankle Clin. 2005 Mar; 10(1):157-66.
33. Wukich DK, Motko J. Safety of total contact casting in high-risk patients with neuropathic foot ulcers. Foot Ankle Int. 2004 Aug; 25(8):556-60.
34. Murphy RX, Jr., Jennings JF, Wukich DK. Major neurovascular complications of endoscopic carpal tunnel release. J Hand Surg [Am]. 1994 Jan; 19(1):114-8.
35. Wukich DK, Van Dam BE, Graeber GM, Martyak T. Serum creatine kinase and lactate dehydrogenase changes after anterior approaches to the thoracic and lumbar spine. Spine. 1990 Mar; 15(3):187-90.
36. Wukich DK, Bowen JR. A long-term study of triple arthrodesis for correction of pes cavovarus in Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease. J Pediatr Orthop. 1989 Jul-Aug; 9(4):433-7.
37. Wukich DK, Callaghan JJ, Graeber GM, Martyak T, Savory CG, Lyon JJ. Cardiac isoenzyme values after total joint arthroplasty. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1989 May (242):232-40.
38. Wukich DK, Callaghan JJ, Graeber GM, Martyak T, Lyon JJ. Operative treatment of acute hip fractures: its effect on serum creatine kinase, lactate dehydrogenase and their isoenzymes. J Trauma. 1989 Mar; 29(3):375-9.
39. Wukich DK, Van Dam BE, Abreu SH. Preoperative indium-labeled white blood cell scintigraphy in suspected osteomyelitis of the axial skeleton. Spine. 1988 Oct; 13(10):1168-70.
40. Wukich DK, Abreu SH, Callaghan JJ, et al. Diagnosis of infection by preoperative scintigraphy with indium-labeled white blood cells. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1987 Dec; 69(9):1353-60.
41. Graeber GM, O'Neill JF, Wolf RE, Wukich DK, Cafferty PJ, Harmon JW. Elevated levels of peripheral serum creatine phosphokinase with strangulated small bowel obstruction. Arch Surg. 1983 Jul; 118(7):837-40.
42. Graeber GM, Wukich DK, Cafferty PJ, et al. Changes in peripheral serum creatine phosphokinase (CPK) and lactic dehydrogenase (LDH) in acute experimental colonic infarction. Ann Surg. 1981 Dec; 194(6):708-15.
Book Chapters, Published Abstracts and Invited Reviews
43. Martin RL, Carcia CR, Belczyk RJ, Wukich DK. Foot and Ankle. In: Sueki D, Brechter J, eds. Orthopaedic Rehabilitation Clinical Advisor. Maryland Heights: Mosby Elsevier; 2010:252-264.
44. Wukich DK, Zgonis T. External fixation for the management of osteoarthropathy. The Diabetic Charcot Foot: Principles of Management. Towson, MD: Data Trace Publishing Company. In Press
45. Wukich DK, Belczyk RJ. Management of acute neuropathic fractions and dislocations: Charcot arthropathy stage 0. In: Frykberg RG, editor. The Diabetic Charcot Foot: Principles of Management. Towson, MD: Data Trace Publishing Company. In Press
46. Lowery NJ, Wukich DK. Adolescent hallux valgus: evaluation and treatment. Oper Tech Orthop. 2009; 19(1):52-57.
47. Wukich DK. Neurological disorders of the foot and ankle. In: Lieberman JR, editor. AAOS Board Review Manual. Rosemont: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons; 2009. p. 1225-38.
48. Martin RL, Hutt DM, Wukich DK. Evidence of validity for the Foot and Ankle Ability Measure (FAAM) in individuals with diabetes mellitus. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2009; 39(1 Supplement A23). (Abstract)
49. Martin RL, Hutt DM, Wukich DK. Evidence of validity for the Foot and Ankle Ability Measure (FAAM) in individuals with diabetes mellitus. Pitt Orthop J 2008:19.319 (Abstract)
50. Feibel J, Wukich DK, Donley B. Tendon Injuries around the Foot and Ankle. . In: El Attrache N, Harner C, Mirzayan R, Sekiya J, Editors. Surgical Techniques in Sports Medicine Lippincott Williams and Wilkins 2007. p. 647-56.
51. Wukich DK, Belczyk RJ. An Introduction to the Taylor Spatial Frame for foot and ankle applications. Oper Tech Orthop. 2006; 16(1):2-9.
52. Zgonis T, Roukis TS, Polyzois V, Wukich DK. Surgical management of the unstable diabetic Charcot deformity using the Taylor Spatial Frame. Oper Tech Orthop. 2006; 16(1):9-13.
53. Wukich DK, Dial D. Equinovarus deformity correction with the Taylor Spatial Frame. Oper Tech Orthop. 2006; 16(1):18-22.
54. Belczyk RJ, Wukich DK. Correction of rockerbottom deformity with the Butt Frame. Oper Tech Orthop. 2006; 16(1):23-31.
55. Esway J, Boyer M, Shereff MJ, Wukich DK. Lisfranc's injury: What have we learned since Napoleon's era? Oper Tech Orthop. 2006; 16(1):60-7.
56. Wukich DK, Roussel AJ. Opening wedge osteotomy of the first metatarsal base: a technique for of metatarsus primus varus using a new titanium opening wedge plate. Oper Tech Orthop. 2006;16(1):76-81.
57. Latterman C, Armfield D, Wukich DK. Lower leg, ankle and foot Injuries. In: McMahon PJ, editor. Current Diagnosis and Treatment: Sports Medicine: Lange; 2006. p. 99-117.
58. Labriola J, Wukich DK. Correcting complex foot and ankle deformities-spatial frame is used to treat post-traumatic ischemic contracture of the lower extremity. Orthop Tech Rev. 2005; 41:22-3.