Education & Training
MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Residency: Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
Fellowship: West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV
- Yates AJ. Value Measurements: The Impending Barrier to Orthopaedic Care for Obese Patients. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2016 March/April; 27(2):1-4.
- Chen AF, Bloomfield MR, Lichstein PM, Yates AJ, Austin MS. “What is the Level of Evidence Substantiating the Medicare Local Coverage Determinations”. J Arthroplasty. 2015 Mar;30(3):356-60. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2014.10.00 Epub 2014Oct 8
- Yates AJ Jr, McGrory BJ, Starz TW, Vincent KR, McCardel B, Golightly YM. AAOS Appropriate Use Criteria: Optimizing the Non-Arthroplasty Management of Osteoarthritis of the Knee. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014 Apr;22(4):261-7. doi:10.5435/JAAOS-22-04-261.
- Yates AJ Jr.. The relative risk of infection from transfusions after arthroplasty: Commentary on articles by Richard Friedman, MD, FRCSC, et al.: "Allogeneic blood transfusions and postoperative infections after total hip or knee arthroplasty" and ErikT. Newman, MD, et al.: "Impact of perioperative allogeneic and autologous blood transfusion on acute wound infection following total knee and total hip arthroplasty". J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Feb 19;96(4):e33. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.M.01436
- Tokarski AT, Blaha D, Mont MA, Sancheti P, Cardona L, Cotacio GL, Froimson M, Kapadia B, Kuderna J, López JC, Matar WY, McCarthy J, Morgan-Jones R, Patzakis M, Schwarzkopf R, Shahcheraghi GH, Shang X, Virolainen P, Wongworawat MD, Yates A Jr. Perioperative skin preparation. J Orthop Res. 2014 Jan;32 Suppl 1:S26-30. doi: 10.1002/jor.22548
- Yates, AJ. Prophylaxis Against Venous Thromboembolism After Arthroplasty: Establishing Value Requires More Than One Perspective: Commentary on an article by John T. Schousboe, MD, PhD, and Gregory A. Brown, MD, PhD: "Cost-Effectiveness of Low-Molecular-Weight Heparin Compared with Aspirin for Prophylaxis Against Venous Thromboembolism After Total Joint Arthroplasty". J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Jul 17;95(14):e1021-2.
- Devin CJ, McCullough KA, Morris BJ, Yates AJ, Kang JD. Hip-Spine Syndrome. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2012 July;20(7) 434-42.
- Jacobs JJ, Mont MA, Bozic KJ, Della Valle CJ, Goodman SB, Lewis CG, Yates AC, Boggio LN, Watters WC, Turkelson CM, Wies JL, Sluka P, Hitchcock K. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Clinical Practice Guideline on: Preventing Venous Thromboembolic Disease in Patients Undergoing Elective Hip and Knee Arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Apr 18;94(8):746-7
- Beattie A, Gilbert TW, Guyot J, Yates AJ, Badylak S: Chemoattraction of Progenitor Cells by Remodeling Extracellular Matrix Scaffolds. Tissue Engineering: Part A14(00) October 2008.
- Rao N, Canella B, Crossett LS, Yates AJ, McGough R. A Preoperative Decolonization Protocol for Staphylococcus Aureus Prevents Orthopaedic Infections. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 466(6):1343-8. June 2008. Epub April1 2008.
- Various different approaches to cartilage restoration and their associated animal models.
- Reduction of complications and readmissions after total joint arthroplasty
- Risk adjustment models in total joint arthroplasty
- Performance measures, adequacy of risk adjustment and access to care questionsin total joint arthroplasty
- Evidence-based Medicine and development of clinical guidelines and appropriateuse criteria.
- Arthritis Surgery Outcomes, $20,000, Department of Veterans Affairs, Primary Investigator, 1995-2000.
- Prospective Analysis of the “Unloader” Valgus Producing Knee Brace for Medial Compartment Gonarthrosis, Generation II, $40,000, Associate Investigator, PI-Dr. Kelly Krohn, 1996.
- Initial Press-Fit Stability of Porous Coated Hip Prostheses, DePuy, $35,355, Associate Investigator, PI-Timothy Norman, PhD., 2001.
- Image Guided Treatment of Articular Cartilage, NIH-1 P60 AR054731-01, Co-investigator, 5% effort (Program PI Kent Kwoh, Project PI Dr. Constance Chu) $816,750, Funding Period: 09/01/2007 – 08/31/2012